VMware vSphere™ 4 and Intel® Xeon® Processor 7500 Series-based Servers
Near-Native Performance in a Virtualized Environment
The Intel® Xeon® processor 7500 series has shown to increase performance by up to three times versus its predecessor, with comparable gains across a wide range of workloads. Next generation Intel® Virtualization Technology (Intel® VT) helps extend this exceptional performance by:
- Delivering up to 3.7x better virtual machine performance than previous generations
- Reducing performance overhead to as low as 2 percent (typically 2-10 percent)
- Enabling near-native I/O performance through direct assignment of I/O devices to meet the demanding throughput requirements of large databases and transactional applications.
Cost Savings through Higher Consolidation Ratios
Intel Xeon processor 7500 series-based servers and VMware vSphere provide the scalable capacity to consolidate large numbers of applications per server.
The newer servers support up to a 20x increase in consolidation ratios, which resulted in:
- Up to 90 percent lower operating costs
- Approximately 91 percent lower estimated annual energy costs
- Estimated full payback in as little as one year
Achieve High Availability and Disaster Recovery Effectively
As you virtualize and consolidate heavier workloads and more critical applications per server, you need systems and solutions that can maintain uninterrupted service. The Intel Xeon processor 7500 series provides more than 20 new reliability, availability and serviceability (RAS) features to enable levels of system resilience and data integrity never before seen in high-volume, industry-standard servers. These new RAS features provide or enable:
- Advanced error detection, correction and containment across all major components and communication pathways
- Dynamic addition and replacement of components in running systems to prevent downtime and to scale resources to support growth and unexpected workload spikes
- Static Hard Partitioning to provide advanced workload isolation and to enable maintenance without bringing down the system.
Learn more about VMware vSphere 4 and Intel Xeon Processor 7500 Series-based Servers